There is a method to it....

BBC News | Africa | World Edition

Tuesday, October 06, 2009

Definition of "usurp authority over"

My exegetical method class with Dr. Love Sechrest requires me to translate passages from greek to english. It is a very eye opening process as I have read the Bible so many times that many of the phrases are hard wired into my brain. This makes it hard to come up with my own translation and not just copy what the NIV, KJV, ESV have done. One of the interesting nuggets that I am chewing on is the translation of the word αὐθεντεῖν which means "to usurp authority over". Here is the dilemma to usurp means to seize and hold (a position, office, power, etc.) by force or without legal right. Now in the context it is talking about women teaching or having authority over a man. My question is this: Is it talking about women having authority over a man or the way in which they have authority over a man i.e. seizing and holding by force or without legal right? What if they have a legal right? What if they do not seize and hold authority by force? Hmmmm.....

No comments: