There is a method to it....

BBC News | Africa | World Edition

Thursday, August 14, 2008

Objections to the Obama-Nation 3

Interestingly enough most of these objections I am hearing from conservative Christian radio. One last objection is that Obama should not be president because of his theological views. If that is the case then many of our founding fathers should not have been presidents either. John Adams, Thomas Jefferson, and James Madison were all deists. What is a deist? Someone who believes God created everything and set it in motion yet has nothing to do with the created order. If that is not atheism dressed up in religous clothing I don't know what is. All this talk about America being a christian nation is hogwash. A little after the Revolutionary war America was only 10% christian. Is that a Christian nation? There are countries right now that missionaries consider unreached who have that many Christians. So whether Obama has his views on God downpacked is not a good evaluation of whether he will do good as president. Most Christian don't have their theology together anyway but we don't say that they are not christians or fit to do their jobs. So that's my two cents on the matter. If anyone has something to say for or against Obama let me know in the comments. I want to know what you all are thinking out there!

Peace,

Ramon

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Very insightful and very ambitious. It's evident that Obama is the most likable and relatable of the two candidates. He also seems to be more approachable than his elderly counterpart. On the surface, my sense is McCain is a bit old to lead and Obama is a bit inexperienced. At this point, neither of the two have convinced me to be the superior candidate, so we'll see. If their ambiguity continues into elections, I may not vote for either and end up rolling with the punches with whomever ends up in office. I know this might seem opposite of my proactive personality, but it is what it is. Thanks for beginning the discussion.

Dionne Sincire said...

Great dialogue. I am glad to be apart of it. Here is my theory: It's all about re-branding.

The current face of America is tainted and outdated; it has been replete with scandal. Reposition the face of America to disassociate the negative connotations left behind from the previous administration. The new brand of America (Obama) represents HOPE.

There is simply no other candidate with his potential to do this.

At a time where America's alienation from the world is magnified, when the country is at war with the most sinister of its enemies, when the balance of its economy is teetering on recession, and when most American's ability to believe in anything has been hammered, we need a new image.

Ramon said...

Wow Derrick I never thought you would not be proactive. The planets are realigning! I understand though. It is hard to put all your cards in someone inexperienced but the funny thing is how many of us have enough experience at whatever we do. I also think we are very age prejudice in our current culture. We think old means irrelevant and useless. So there is I believe the most common opinion about Mccain.

Ramon said...

I like that re-branding theory. Is that from marketing? It is in my experience that after a while in every organization or group the status quo needs to be shaken up a bit while still retaining the core values. I think Obama is in a good position to do this. We'll see in November.

If you watch the civil forum with Rick Warren let me know what you think.

Peace,

Ramon