There is a method to it....

BBC News | Africa | World Edition

Saturday, April 18, 2009

Emerging church panel discussion and diversity

Has anyone seen the Emerging church panel discussion that was done in Dallas at the Christian Book Expo about a week ago? Here it is if you haven't seen it

For what it's worth I have been watching this emerging church conversation from a distance and also feel like I have participated in it as our church exhibits some of those qualities. In some ways I feel as if we go beyond the typical emerging/emergent church in the area of two things:

Our multiethnic diversity. I don't know how to express this in a way that people understand except when we gather the phrase that comes to my mind is "The United Nations goes to church" I think that is being done in other parts of the US and the world so I would not claim that we have a monopoly on it but I will say that if we are going to go forward and remove ourselves from the traps of culturally constructed evangelical Christianity we have to include the non white ethnic voices and also go beyond theology as a white discourse. A hard thing to do after 500-600 years of slavery and colonialism. As I watch the discussion and look over the blogosphere there are not that many non white voices represented in the emerging conversation. I think this is a fundamental flaw with this whole emerging/emergent movement.javascript:void(0)

Our gender diversity. This is not to say that I as a male do not struggle with this issue but I know that as a church we promote women in leadership and I wish to do it on a larger scale. There is something that the body of Christ is missing if we have as Jamie Wilson one of the Vineyard pastors says "half the team on the bench". This is a new direction for me even though it is not a new direction for our church. I think it has to start with the leadership and clearly from looking at this panel discussion not only is it all white but it is all male. Let's get a diversity of voices to sit at the table and then we can talk about doing church and theology in the postmodern world.

No comments: