There is a method to it....

BBC News | Africa | World Edition

Thursday, October 23, 2008

Questions about the Future of Global Theology

As with all theology I have come from the symposium with more questions than answers. Here are a few of my questions:

What role does the diversity of global theology have to play in a multiethnic theology for North America? Most of the talk in multiethnicity has been in regard to ecclesiology or missiology. How do we hammer out a theology or a christology for a multiethnic setting?

What role does global theology have to play in speaking to ethnic theology in North America (black, chicano native american etc.)? Can they challenge and contribute in certain areas?

How can global theology speak to non-western social injustice and racism i.e. black vs hispanic, japanese vs. korean, chinese vs. japanese, etc.? How is our theology attached to our identity in unhealthy ways?

These are just a few questions and starting points for further dialogue. Overall it was an exciting event although I was half asleep from being up last night working on my paper for systematics 1. Come to think of it I better get some time in before work.

1 comment:

David Carr said...

Hi Ramon, great thoughts and questions. You really got me thinking about some things:

• You ask about Christology in North American multi-ethnic settings. It seems African and Latin-based theologies offer quite a bit here through emphases on liberation. For me personally, I have benefitted quite a bit (though it does work itself out in missiology) in my understanding of Jesus as liberator, especially within the framework of the kingdom of God.

You have lot of other good questions that all have my mind spinning...even though I'm in class!

One of the things I think white westerners (yeah, that includes me) often fail to realize is that our theology is also "perspectival." We seem to think we define the norms...even though most of the church is south of us.

Any more thoughts?