There is a method to it....

BBC News | Africa | World Edition

Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Eternal Sunshine in my Spotless mind


I just got a chance to see Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless mind and I think it is wonderful. Jim Carrey did an awesome job and he finally got my respect as a dramatic actor. Kate Winslet did great as well. You could never guess that wasn't her real accent.

The movie really made me think about all the past relationships I've had and my marriage to Yvette. I think it is truly better to go ahead and experience love with all of it's hurts and joys than to be a blank slate. I think this is the heart of God when he made humanity. He foresaw the pain that he would endure in creating us with the capacity to choose him or something else in the place of him. Seeing all the sin he chose to love. I am awestruck by the reality of that kind of love.

The title is from an Alexander Pope poem. Here is the stanza and it is beautiful:

How happy is the blameless vestal's lot!
The world forgetting, by the world forgot.
Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind!
Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd;
Labour and rest, that equal periods keep;
"Obedient slumbers that can wake and weep;"
Desires compos'd, affections ever ev'n,
Tears that delight, and sighs that waft to Heav'n.
Grace shines around her with serenest beams,
And whisp'ring angels prompt her golden dreams.
For her th' unfading rose of Eden blooms,
And wings of seraphs shed divine perfumes,
For her the Spouse prepares the bridal ring,
For her white virgins hymeneals sing,
To sounds of heav'nly harps she dies away,
And melts in visions of eternal day.

No comments: