There is a method to it....

BBC News | Africa | World Edition

Monday, November 10, 2008

Obama is President. What now?

I have been in a daze from school, work, and baby so I haven't done any wild partying in honor of Obama's victory. I am very proud and I am glad that there is a black man who is President of the United States. It is also cool that this was not just a victory for black folks but for the rest of the world. America is now seen again as the place where there is equal opportunity no matter who you are. That is one of the most exciting things about the Presidency and something to celebrate. One thing that I have been pondering since the election is what do we do now? Obama is not the Messiah and we do not pray for his kingdom to come. So in light of that I think there are some things we need to be about as Christians in the political/social sphere:

1. We need to heal rifts and be peacemakers between political parties, ethnicities, and sexual orientations. This is not about one party, one ethnicity, or one sexual orientation. We as Christians need to align ourselves with Christ more than anything and Christ wants shalom for all people. Blessed are the peacemakers!

2. We need to vote, march, and be active in creating a holistic vision of life based on the kingdom of God. It is not up to the president but it is on us. We must as Gandhi said "Be the change that we want to see in the world"

3. We need to discuss and brainstorm and figure out what we as the church believe about major political and social issues without buying into the politics of certain groups. This means we need to hear both sides of the issue as well as seek to develop a consistent hermeneutic for our day and age.

Is there anything else that we should add to this list? Let me know. I am open to suggestions.

1 comment:

David Carr said...

I think last Tuesday was an important day in this country, and I'm really happy we have our first ever African American president! It's a huge deal.

I really like your point #1 also. I've been really saddened by a lot of the division and racial tensions in the past 6 days. My prayer is that Christians can truly participate with God's kingdom work of reconciliation.

Though (for reasons splattered all over my blog!) I'm not too much into the American political scene, I think the church can make a huge impact (politically, socio-economically, etc.) if we would just simply be the church in the midst of a messed up world. But sadly, we're often too messed ourselves.

Great thoughts.