There is a method to it....

BBC News | Africa | World Edition

Sunday, October 25, 2009

Church and mission 10/21-Is formalization a bad thing?

As we took a look at the pre-Constantine church we see steps toward formalizing baptism, leadership and the Lord's supper. What amazes me is that these are the things that we have recently formalized at our church. I wonder if this is a good thing or a bad thing. We have added structure to them because we did not want people to 1) make mistakes in conducting them and 2) Not be a bad witness to those who are new. It seems to me that there is a difference between formalizing and giving structure and I think that it is necessary to give structure while it is not necessary to formalize. When there are large numbers of people (over 30) then there needs to be structure. I think the larger the group the greater the structure. What do you think?

No comments: