There is a method to it....

BBC News | Africa | World Edition

Wednesday, April 16, 2008

A baby boy, gender, and personhood

I am happy to announce that in august a testosterone filled Mayo will be arriving to us. That's right we are having a boy. We are still figuring out the names. It's kind of hard because we were really sure the baby was a girl. I am feeling a little more weight now that we know the gender. Partly because now the fact that we are having a baby seems more real. I think this has to do with gender defining alot of our personhood. You don't really know how to address the baby until you find out the gender. Calling the baby "it" seems wrong and now that we say "he" it makes it more definite that this is a real person coming into the world. Another reason I feel the weight is because now that I know he is a boy I feel more responsible for his development and growth in being a man. Well I guess this gives me a good motivation to get back into sports and physical stuff :)

2 comments:

Chad Estes said...

How exciting!

We were surprised by our first two kids, not finding out the gender till they were born. The last two kids we found out in advance. All four were very different emotions.

Keep us updated on your thoughts and feelings about fathering a boy!

Ramon said...

Will do Captain!